Become a Member
You may be a UU, if you:
- believe there are many paths to exploring spirituality
- want to help create a healthy planet
- believe atheism and agnosticism are valid perspectives
- want your children to freely explore and develop their own beliefs
- believe all people should have the freedom to choose who they love
- want to be part of the solution to social justice challenges such as homelessness
- are interested in engaging in free and responsible search for meaning, purpose, value, and spiritual depth in your life
- want to be part of a progressive, intergenerational, liberal spiritual community
Hmmm… maybe I am!
If you resonated with some or all of the above, you may be a Unitarian Universalist! Here are some opportunities for you to find out more.
- explore this web site and read about our shared principles and beliefs
- attend a Sunday service
- listen to past services
- visit with our members after a service
- contact our minister to ask any questions
Your Spiritual Path and UU
UU Marin offers two classes to answer questions for people exploring Unitarian Universalist. The first class focuses on an introduction to Unitarian Universalism and includes sharing of our religious history, our hopes, and reasons for joining our community at UU Marin. During the second class we share information about UU Marin’s program and activities, and let you know how to get involved. Each class is about two hours.
Please RSVP to the Membership Coordinator (membershipcoordinator@UUmarin.org) if you are interested in attending one or both of these sessions. Child care can be arranged by emailing Thomas Ervin (email@example.com) or calling 415-717-3431 at least two weeks in advance of the class date.
I’m a Unitarian Universalist! What’s next?
If you feel you may be a Unitarian Universalist in spirit, consider becoming a member of our warm, welcoming congregation. Becoming a member gives you access to all that UU Marin has to offer:
- membership in a community of people who care for each other and the planet
- lifespan religious education programs, designed to open up new ways of thinking and engaging your spiritual and religious life
- the best open and full religious education for your children, without pressure or expectations
- support in times of need – physical, emotional, or spiritual – through pastoral care and help from church members
- our social groups, gatherings, and fun family adventures
- access to our facilities at a reduced rental rate for celebrations, memorials, and other events.
You’ll be part of an environment that encourages and nurtures your spiritual exploration, and values your personal gifts and talents.
Members are expected to
- participate in congregational governance,
- abide by our congregational Covenant of Right Relations,
- pledge your financial support annually, and
- volunteer in the congregation with your time and talents.
I’m ready! How do I become a member?
Anyone can become a member at any time by meeting with our minister and signing the Membership Book. New members are also asked to make a financial commitment to UU Marin. Once you’ve become a member, you’ll be formally recognized in a New Member Ceremony during a worship service.